As parents, we all want our children to do well in school, but aside from helping them ace those tests, what else can be done at home to help them really excel in school? Orlando private school, Lake Forrest Prep, has six tips that you can implement at home and pretty soon, you will see them excelling with their grades.
- Kiss Your Child Goodbye: It seems simple enough, but how many times were both you and your child rushing out the door without the proper goodbye? Take the time to show them the love with a hug, kiss, and a wish for a good day. It shows that no matter how rushed life can be, we can all take the time to show the ones we love that we care, including children.
- Develop a Coming Home Routine: When children know exactly what is expected of them upon arrival at home, they can start to decompress. Have them put their backpack in the same spot, remove their shoes and put them away, and start on their after school snack. This allows children to relax a little after a long day of learning.
- Nutritious Dinner: Kids need protein and complex carbohydrates for optimal brain and body performance. Have your child help you plan and even shop for these meals so they learn about healthy eating.
- Give Them a Bedtime Head’s Up: Children may be having fun before bed, so give them a head’s up that bedtime is approaching and it is time to wrap it up. This way, they can finish whatever they are into without the whole “awww, c’mon! Can’t I just stay up longer to finish this?!?” argument every parent has heard.
- Prepare for the Next Day Before Bed: One of the best things parents can do to make mornings more smooth is to prepare the night before. Have their clothes, shoes, and backpack all laid out and ready to go. Prepare their lunch the day before, too. When a day starts calm, it can truly affect the rest of the day.
- Make Time for You: It is at the end of the day and all the children are in bed, and while you may feel a sense of self-accomplishment, you KNOW that it’s just to be repeated tomorrow. So, take some time for yourself! Read a book, take a hot bath, have a glass of wine, or whatever you need to do to reconnect. We are there so much for our children that sometimes we forget to be there for ourselves, too. Happy parents have well-adjusted children.
We hope these tips help you to help your child do even better in school. Children crave routine and structure, so by following some of these tips, you will start to see them reflected through their grades. For even more tips in raising smart and healthy children, please browse the rest of our Orlando private school blog. And if you are interested in your child receiving an education at Lake Forrest Prep, give a call at 407-331-5144 to set up a tour.