Valentine’s Day is coming up. This year, instead of sticking to the stereotypical conversation hearts, incorporate heart-shaped fun into a variety of treats!
Chocolate Strawberry Hearts
Any holiday that gives us an excuse to eat handfuls of chocolate-covered fruit is a winner in our book! All you need to make this recipe is toothpicks, strawberries, and melting chocolate, such as chocolate chips or candy melts.
- Wash and cut the stems off of your strawberries.
- Slice the strawberry in half.
- Cut off a small portion of the strawberry to help create the heart shape.
- Lay two halves on their cut side. Poke a toothpick through to secure their heart shape.
- Repeat with remaining strawberries.
- Place strawberries on a baking sheet.
- Melt chocolate.
- Coat strawberries in melting chocolate.
Apple of My Eye
This healthy afterschool snack is a great way to encourage your children to eat their fruits and vegetables, all in the name of Valentine’s Day! To make these heart apple sandwiches, you need an apple, a small heart-shaped cookie cutter, and some fun toppings such as chocolate chips, peanut butter, or granola!
- Wash the apples.
- Slice the apple into small round discs.
- Using the heart-shaped cookie cutter, core the apple.
- Lay out your toppings.
- Let your child put together their very own heart apple sandwich! Spread peanut butter and add chocolate chips, or mix some granola into greek yogurt. This is a great time to get creative and let your child’s imagination run free!
While “cookie” may be in this treat’s name, these fortune cookies are actually made of fruit roll-ups! All you need to create your very own fortunes is one box of fruit roll-ups, a permanent marker, parchment paper, and a 2-inch round cookie cutter.
- Cut the parchment paper into small strips.
- Write different messages onto each strip of parchment paper. We recommend putting a heart at the end of each one!
- Unroll each fruit roll-up, and cut it into four squares.
- Using the round cookie cutter, cut circles out of the fruit roll-ups.
- Insert the message into the center of the fruit roll-up. Leave the end of the heart message sticking out.
- Fold it in half, similar to a taco.
- Gently form the fortune cookie by grabbing the corners and creasing the middle. Pinch the middle together so that the shape holds.
- Pass them out as a unique Valentine’s Day treat!
At Lake Forrest Prep, and Orlando preparatory school, we love to celebrate all holidays. To learn more about our beliefs about creating a fun, but solid academic foundation, give us a call at (407) 331-5144.