Scheduling a teacher-parent conference is the easiest way for both the parents and teachers to discuss the direction of a child’s education. When done the right way, these conferences can be very rewarding and help parents gain a better understanding of their child’s progress. Lake Forrest Prep is an Orlando private school that encourages both parents and teachers to attend teacher-parent conferences.
- Have Positive Assumptions: Teachers of all grades should understand that parents are your friends and partners. Their priority is to see their children succeed, and are there to support you. When you engage with parents, put aside any doubts you have as a teacher and push yourself to make them your strongest allies.
- Prepare, Prepare, Prepare: Figure out what your goal or purpose is for any planned conferences. Decide ahead of time what you want to go over and what you expect the outcome to be. Once you’ve got these figured out, prepare any materials to back up your discussion, such as tests, work samples, and notes.
- Aim for a Solution: If you see a change needed in a student, be specific when requesting to the parents. Don’t just tell the negatives, such as “She has a low attention span.” Instead, discuss how parents can help solve any issues. Some great examples would be asking if they see the same behavior at home, if they have any suggestions, and so forth.
- Take the Opportunity to Learn: Especially if it’s your first time meeting a parent, this is your chance to see how they can help you better support your student. Furthermore, take this the time to hear the parents’ perspectives on their children’s education, the children’s interests, and discuss any questions they may have as well.
- Show that You Care: Conferences can be both frightening and incredible. We’ve all experienced both kinds, but your goal should be to conclude the meetings positively. Forget the empty praises and compliments of your student. Instead, go above and show praise-worthy works of the parent’s child as you discuss their progress.
Planning and attending a teacher-parent conference doesn’t have to be unpleasant. View it in a positive light by realizing that this is your chance as a teacher to really get to know your students’ background more and what causes them to succeed or fall behind. As a parent, this is your chance to understand how your child is doing during the hours you don’t see him or her. Orlando private school, Lake Forrest Prep, encourages these conferences. To schedule a conference, or if you have any questions, call us at 407-331-5144.